Discover Glowing Skin, Courtesy of the Vampire Facial®
By Warren B. Seiler III, M.D., Medical Director at Seiler Skin Cosmetic Laser & Aesthetics Center
July 12, 2016
By Buffy York
By Warren Seiler III, M.D.
By now you’ve probably heard about the Vampire Facial® procedure, made famous by early celebrity adopters like Kim Kardashian and Bar Refaeli. As a cosmetic laser surgeon and certified provider and trainer on Vampire® procedures, I’ve witnessed this particular treatment rapidly grow in popularity and quickly become a favorite of patients and physicians alike.
Among the many reasons for its mainstream growth, the most impactful are the visible results and minimal downtime required of patients. With summer officially in full swing, now especially is one of the best times to undergo this treatment, as the hotter, humid weather does not have any effect on the results or recovery time.
One of my favorite things about the Vampire Facial® is the amazing glow that it gives patients—I’d go as far as to equate it to the “pregnancy glow,” where a woman’s skin naturally radiates vitality, youthfulness and health. In this blog, I’ll explore a few of the most important things patients should know about this procedure, and hopefully dispel any concerns you may have about its effectiveness or invasiveness.
The Vampire Facial® is not a facelift or invasive cosmetic procedure.
To begin, it’s important to clarify that the Vampire Facial® is not a facelift or invasive procedure. When you come in for the treatment, you are not put under anesthesia, nor do you go under the knife. Instead, we use a medical microneedling device, which creates tiny, micro-channels in the skin to stimulate collagen and allow absorption of the PRP. The treatment is completely non-surgical and non-invasive, and is a great alternative—both in cost and pain level—to other aesthetic facial procedures like a facelift.
I’d also point out that the Vampire Facial® is very different from the Vampire Facelift®, which I will explore more in depth in future blogs.
PRP extraction is the most important step in the entire procedure.
The key to the Vampire Facial’s® exceptional results lie in the extraction and separation of Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP). PRP is a concentrated source of your platelets, growth factors, collagen stimulators and cytokines that occur naturally in your own body, and are key factors in the healthy regenerative processes occurring constantly in your cells. These processes include collagen remodeling, healing, soft tissue regeneration and an ongoing promotion of the overall health and well-being of the skin.
For the Vampire Facial®, a very small amount of blood is drawn from your arm and spun in a centrifuge to concentrate the PRP using an FDA-approved sterile system. The plasma, separated during this process, is what contains the highly concentrated platelets, growth factors and cytokines. Interestingly, the famous “Vampire” name was not born out of this process, but rather from the fact that vampires don’t age!
Microneedling is a painless process when performed by an experienced, certified provider.
The PRP obtained from the blood draw is applied topically through a process called microneedling.
Let me pause for a moment of clarification: the widely viewed video of Kim Kardashian receiving the Vampire Facial® is the result of the procedure being performed improperly by the practitioner. The practitioner evidently did not apply a proper numbing cream prior to using the microneedle on her skin, and, unfortunately for Ms. Kardashian, she experienced much more discomfort than she should have.
At Seiler Skin, this is a non-issue. Prior to the microneedling, we apply a topical medical-grade numbing cream so that patients experience minimal discomfort throughout the entire procedure. Patients report that it feels like a small amount of heat is being applied to their face. We also use a top-of-the-line microneedling pen, called the Eclipse MicroPen, to achieve optimal results.
What should you expect post-treatment?
At most, you will have 12-24 hours of mild redness with the possibility of minimal swelling. This can easily and safely be covered with makeup. Some patients report that they experience a mild “warm sensation” for the first few hours after the treatment, but that it is very tolerable and goes away quickly. Generally, you can go to work or perform other daily activities the next day and no one will know you had an aesthetic treatment.
At Seiler Skin, we work closely with you to develop an individualized skincare regimen using medical-grade products to ensure you see the absolute best results possible.
The results speak for themselves.
The Vampire Facial® can vastly improve the overall look, health and quality of your skin. It can help even out skin tones, color and complexion. The procedure can also improve the texture, volume and smoothness of your skin, giving you a beautiful glow and youthful look without having to undergo expensive and invasive plastic surgery. Best of all? You should see results within a few days, and the long-lasting results will continue to improve over the coming weeks and months.
It is important to note that there has never been a single reported complication from injecting PRP into the skin or body. Why? The growth factors found in PRP are the driving force behind tissue regeneration and all healing that naturally occurs in your body. Herein lies the true beauty of the Vampire Facial—you’re empowering your skin to better heal itself.
Is the Vampire Facial® right for you?
If you’re interested in learning more about the Vampire Facial® and to see if it is right for you, it’s imperative that you consult with a certified provider who is supervised by a trained physician, not armchair experts on the internet. This treatment can only be offered by practitioners who have been fully trained and are certified by Charles Runels, M.D., the creator of the Vampire Procedures.
A word of caution—if you call a provider and they recommend this treatment over the phone without first consulting with you and closely examining your skin, I suggest you run away immediately. As with any aesthetic procedure, it’s not right for everyone. Your skin concerns may be better treated by another treatment or procedure, or through a skincare regimen using medical-grade skincare products.
The Vampire Facial® is a remarkable treatment that can work wonders for your skin, especially during the summer months. My sincere hope is that you find an aesthetic medical practice or provider that works tirelessly to help you achieve the results you want, not try to sell you on something you don’t need.
Seiler Skin Cosmetic Laser & Aesthetics Center
July 5, 2016
By Buffy York
Yes I know I have not been blogging much lately, at least not on the web. I have written numerous posts in my head, but since I haven’t made the time to actually sit down and make them happen on a regular basis, I thought I would consolidate a few of my ideas for posts in to a “Summer Finds” round-up if you will. Tim and I are in Europe on our 5 year anniversary trip (follow along on Snapchat username: stylegathering) and I finally wrote this post on the train from Rome to Tuscany.
1. In my search to find an everyday body moisturizer that is natural (free of parabems and other junk) and has a smell that isn’t weird, I have landed on Beauty Counter’s Baby Oil straight out of their Baby Line. It is a dry oil made of unscented all natural oils, it absorbs fast and is not greasy. I use it all over and to take my eye make up off. Lately I have been trying to clean up all of the products that I use, and since I slather some type of moisturizer all over my body daily, I thought this was the first place to start. Moving forward I am going to try to only blog about “clean” products unless I just cannot live without it.
2. I found these Coola products at the beach last month, and I am digging them. The tinted Coola BB Cream (SPF 30) is the perfect beach/pool make-up. I like it when I am not necessarily interested in full blown make-up, but I don’t want to scare the crowd with a bare face. It has enough coverage to hide imperfections but doesn’t make you look like a try-hard with a full face of war paint on while sunning . I bought the darker shade, and when I am going all out, I mix it with my It Cosmetics CC Cream (my favorite foundation ever) that is just a tad too light for me for the summer. The Coola Tinted Mineral Liplux (SPF 30) at first sight looks very intense, but on your lips it is very natural. The finish isn’t too matte or shiny and it is just enough color to give you an enhanced natural look at the beach, pool or grocery store for that matter. I have it in TanLine but loved Firecracker too. They come in several shades for every skintone.
3. I have blogged about Truffle pouches several times, but just in case you weren’t paying attention, I am talking about them again. I have 4 in different sizes, and I love them all. They are great for traveling or in your beach bag, and I love how they keep my handbag organized while still keeping everything in plain view. They aren’t cheap, but the quality is amazing. They are perfect for moving your products when you are switching from bag to bag, and I love how they are clear and I don’t have to fumble around to find what I am looking for in the black hole that can be my purse. The Large Clarity Clutch is my favorite, this Privacy Clutch I like to have in my bag to hold things that don’t need to be on display for all to see, and the Large Clarity Document Case we are currently using to hold travel documents, iteneraries, etc. They are having a sale right now that includes several of my favorites.
4. This isn’t the first time I have blogged about Beauty Counter’s Sunscreen either, but since it is still in my bag I thought I would remind you about it. It works, it isn’t greasy, it rubs in fast without a whitish tint on your skin, it doesn’t smell and it is au naturale. Oh and since it is a physical sunscreen, it doesn’t go bad. I am still using the tube I bought at the end of last summer, unlike the bottles and bottles of spray sunscreen I throw away every May.
5. I found this beach bag on the Target website and over the past month and a half, and I have found myself at every Target in Birmingham and half of the ones in Atlanta. I have never seen this bag in the store. I think it is great looking and comes off way more expensive looking than it is. Target has tons of beach bags that are knock-offs of designer brands (designer vs. Target here and here) and considering the wear and tear that goes along with a bag like this, it seems silly to pay top dollar when the Big Bull’s Eye in the Sky comes through for you like this.
6. If you have pathetic nails like me, CND Recovery Rx Keratin Treatment is your new BFF. For whatever reason, in the past year, my nails have become dry/brittle/thin/weak/peeling. Name the nail condition, and I think I suffer from it. I started using this 2 months ago, and it is a game changer. Seriously, the first week I started to use it my nails stopped peeling and as a bonus, my normally super dry cuticles started to look more diva less dishwasher. I keep one bottle by my bedside and one in my car. The first month I used it, I applied it to bare nails and never used polish. It is an oil that soaks in to your nails and even though the directions say to only use it twice a day I probably applied it 5 times a day in the beginning. The past few weeks I have been painting my nails, so I use it around my cuticles and on the backside of my nails. They have never looked better. If you only buy or consider buying one product from this post, this is the one. From what I can tell the ingredients are natural, it smells great and most importantly IT WORKS!
7. Ok so I don’t actually own a pair of Lake Pajamas but my neighbor Blair owns three pair and cannot stop talking about how soft and comfy they are. Blair is one of those with very discerning taste and likes only the best of the best. I run all my” investment” purchases through her because she typically has done the research. She appreciates quality and classic style when it comes to her clothes and pretty much everything else. My birthday is later this month, and I am officially adding these to my wish list.
8. I discovered Atelier Cologne as a 100 point Sephora gift. It came in Orange Sanguine (they have many other scents), and every time I wear it someone tells me how good I smell. It smells just like fresh squeezed oranges. Two of my friends went straight to Sephora to buy it. When I ran out of the sample size, I went back to purchase it myself and I found out the large bottle is quite expensive for a weekday purchase. Brooke at Sephora told me it’s a little pricey because of the concentration of the scent, but lucky for me Sephora sells a generous travel size and a 4 piece sample set of their fragrances for $25 each.
Enjoy your 4th of July week, and if these links don’t work and send you to random Italian websites, my apologies. I’ll fix it when I get home.